livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] NYTimes.com: Food That Travels Well

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] NYTimes.com: Food That Travels Well
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 06:00:37 -0500

I've been reading a lot related to these (International food) issues lately, but haven't noticed any organized efforts.  Paul Hawken's Blessed Unrest describes a "swarm" effect, but I think a lot more could be done by coordinating "local" food efforts between different countries and ecoregions.  There is still a useful place for transported food (who hasn't experienced a surplus of Zucchini at some time, only to wish for it at another?), but it's not being done very well at this time.  I have no idea what sort of organization(s) could improve that, but Fair Trade might be a good starting point.  How could a consortium of co-ops come into being?

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz