livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] NYTimes.com: Food That Travels Well

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Aliza" <realfood@wonderfulfarm.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] NYTimes.com: Food That Travels Well
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 19:44:03 -0700

I thought this fascinating also.  While I know that some folks would rather purchase local conventional (by that I mean produced with synthetic chemicals etc) I would rather purchase organic shipped especially if I know it is fairly traded because of the chemical residues especially with the new research showing that the breakdown products of commonly used "low toxicity" pesticides/herbicides are very very toxic not to mention the footprint of the synthetic fertilizers and ground water contamination.

  Of course my preference is my own wonderful pastured milk/eggs/meat and what ever I produce in my own garden and then local organic (dont care about certification though).  There are only two or three things that we regularly consume here at my house (aside from spices like pepper and cinnamon) that we cannot grow with some ease. Bananas, chocolate (we use dagoba because it is manufactured less then 5 miles from my house and it is fabulous) and citrus like oranges/grapefruit.  I am getting a lemon tree and a kumquat tree this winter and those can go inside when it gets too cold.  Oh and avocados but they arent too far to ship from california as we are just on the border of california and oregon.

Very interesting article.

Aliza