livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Early slices of paradise: Gardens in ancient times

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Early slices of paradise: Gardens in ancient times
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 00:54:16 -0700 (PDT)

Paul,

thanks for posting the link:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/07/12/arts/conway.php

Lovely article! I remember those murals and walled
gardens from my visits to Pompeii and other places in
the Mediterranean. Unfortunately, the article, i.e. the
exhibition, misses out on the role of farming/gardening
in more than half of humanity’s tradition.

Especially Chinese early civilisation is unthinkable
without farming. It is not just that a sophisticated
degree of farming was needed to sustain such a vast
empire, but the very culture, right up to the ritualistic
role of the emperor, was permeated by the events of
agriculture. The legendary Emperor Huang Di
drained the marshes to enable agriculture, the
ritualistic acts of rulers all along the centuries
recalled the events of farming such as sowing
and harvesting. In fact, recorded history itself
starts with the sing-song of men and women
working the fields as they are recorded in one
of the earliest historic documents in China.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

Finding fabulous fares is fun.