livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] What to do when the mulch runs out?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] What to do when the mulch runs out?
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 18:00:48 -0600

Same way you assure the minerals are there with organic matter you bring in
from outside. Assuming your soil is reasonably fertile, you don't give it a
second thought. In either case, your typical soil test with regard to trace
minerals is bunko. Most soils don't need potash, potassium. Some need
phosphate, and can get it in the form of rock dust added. But there's still
no way to test what minerals will actually be bioavailable as plants need
them. IF you know your soil is deficient by what's growing there or not
growing there, then you can do as Jeavons did beginning with hopeless soil,
and incorporate a variety of rock dusts, bone meal or blood meal, kelp meal
or seaweed concentrate, and so forth. But it takes time - perhaps two or
three years - for the soil biology to make most added minerals available to
growing plants. Judge what's needed by the appearance of what's growing
there. There are some indicators of specific deficiencies, such as boron.
Just remember we can't judge how much of certain trace minerals are already
there and how much should be added. Most can't be added individually in any
form plants can use. Soil rich in organic matter is going to have what's
needed anyway.