livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] What to do when the mulch runs out?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Ken Hargesheimer" <minifarms2@yahoo.com>, "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] What to do when the mulch runs out?
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 20:34:07 -0500

I'm inclined to agree about soil tests, but I'm a bit uneasy with the idea of all of the organic input for the soil, and all of our food, coming from the same piece of land.  It was just coincidence, but I read about this in one of Jeavons' booklets just yesterday.  That's why it was on my mind.  If there is a deficiency in a particular site, it would be exaggerated over the years.  If it's not in the soil, it's not in the food.  Mel Bertholomew (Square Foot Gardening) made a good point, I think, in advocating compost input from multiple sources.  In our diets and everything else, diversity is good.  If the diet for both the plants and the people consuming them is lacking in something, it can't be good.

Personally, I'm starting with purchased compost.   It's on a small scale, so cost is not a problem, but I expect I'll need to "grow my own" as the scale increases.  I guess I'll attempt to bring in some Greensand and compost as long as I can, just to cover the unknown.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz