livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] What to do when the mulch runs out?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] What to do when the mulch runs out?
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 12:55:33 -0600

That can't be said often enough. It's true: soil rich in organic matter,
humus etc. turns all those problems into minor annoyances. This advice goes
back to Sir Albert Howard, British agricultural expert in India, who
demonstrated the value of returning all available organic matter to the
growing soil - his "law of return". As for cover crops and green manure
crops, we have links for very good sources on them, and cover crops are
standard advice for farmers everywhere. It's even better in the home or
market garden. As Ken stated, the proof of all this is out there for all to
see.