livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] happenings to get fired up about growing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] happenings to get fired up about growing
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:54:12 -0600

Yeah, Ken, I've been spitting nails about so-called Voc-Ag for years. Show
animals? Interview the winners (those whose parents can afford such
animals) and invariably they talk about a career in some nice respectable
white-collar niche of agribusiness - but not actually farming. That's dirty
work, like for illiterate laborers. Even when I took it in high school
(1957) it wasn't about farming. That always puzzled me. Seems it went the
way of Home Economics classes. At least back then kids in Home Ec. were
taught how to cook, clean, sew, and shop. Only the girls, that is.

What a waste. The new farmers wouldn't touch Voc-Ag with a ten-foot pole.