livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] happenings to get fired up about growing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Gloria Baikauskas <gcb49@flash.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] happenings to get fired up about growing
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 22:29:41 -0700 (PDT)

What makes you think the large agribusinesses won't sell off farms, etc, if oil/gas becomes more expensive?  Their bottom line is what keeps them going as they are.  When things become less profitable they probably will not buy up more land they can't handle because of the cost...or worse the lack of fuel.

It is also somewhat a possibility that they will be accused of a monopoly...and forced to break up.  Don't laugh.  It happened before to the telephone company, for one.

Greedy folks go for things that can make them more money with the least output.  If it becomes a problem, they cut their losses and go to something new that looks more promising.

I do realize the opposite of what I wrote can also happen....but it is my hope that it won't.  I truly hope that farms will become smaller again.  The problem as I see it is going to be finding farmers to farm them properly.  Properly is the most important word in that sentence.

Gloria