livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] happenings to get fired up about growing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] happenings to get fired up about growing
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 12:19:17 -0500 (CDT)

As a percentage, who do you think gets greater amounts of subsidies,
conventional or organic*?

*We need to concentrate on using "local" rather than "organic." Big AG is
also producing organic, and they're also shipping long distances (as their
model dictates).

Keep in mind that we're seeing double subsidies when it comes to fuel crops:
subsidies for the likes of corn, and then subsidies for the fuel processing
(and likely for vehicles that are produced to take greater "advantage" of
these fuels).

I would contend that it would be easier to drop ALL subsidies than to only
drop subsidies to the big agri-fuel corporations. They command huge amounts
of power (lobbying) and will ensure that they are not discriminated against.
There is a near ZERO chance that you could drop subsidies to the existing big
AG folks AND then provide subsidies to small/local farmers.

Subsidies externalize costs. They're how we got in this mess in the first
place. And once something is entrenched it's awfully hard to get rid of,
efficiencies be damned!

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA