livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] happenings to get fired up about growing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] happenings to get fired up about growing
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 10:59:37 -0600

I'm familiar with it, and the guy behind it, and I don't have a good
opinion of him at all. But the co-op model depending on volunteers and
donations is NOT a viable model financially for feeding the country.
Producing and selling food locally, direct to eaters, is financially viable
if the grower knows how to cut costs and market intelligently. We don't
need big organizations to grow and sell. We need growers, ten million more
growers selling locally. Not just within the state of Oklahoma, or within
any state, but in every town and village. My nearest farmers market is
seven miles north of us, but when gas hits $4 a gallon we're going really
local, like the side of the road a mile from here.