livingontheland - [Livingontheland] weeds.. was: .... Jeavon's Work

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] weeds.. was: .... Jeavon's Work
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 00:10:39 -0500

Weeding.... I'm finding it handy to sow in strips, closer together, and in pairs, leaving a four inch strip open on either side that I can run a stirrup through quickly. So instead of planting my spinach 6 inches apart and spaced evenly, I plant the spinach in strips 2 deep about 3 inches apart with a four inch strip on either side that I can mulch heavily after I use a stirrup on it.

Right now some of the weeds I am contending with here in Alabama are bermuda, fuzzy chickweed, henbit (Lamium amplexicaule), ground ivy, Carolina geranium ( Geranium carolinianum ), violets and Johnson grass. Lamb's quarters also come up but are easily smooshed. Senna has been a problem in the past as I didn't get to it until it was hard to pull.

I'm finding that every year, weeding gets easier as the soil gets better and there is less to weed. I didn' think I'd ever get control of the Johnson grass but I only have a small patch of it left. Bermuda is very tiresome still and violets can be a pill if you don't catch them quickly.

Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins