livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Comment on Jeavon's Work

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Comment on Jeavon's Work
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:11:45 -0700

We're on the same page, I confess to feeling overwhelmed this time of year.
I haven't finished the rabbit fencing, haven't finished framing and
mulching all beds, and need to get more early greens etc. started pronto.
Will try to direct seed as much as possible to minimize starting in 4" pots
that have to be transplanted (backache etc.). But can't have much sprouting
before it's fenced, or herds of jackrabbits and cottontails will pig out on
it. So timing is critical. Sleep in? What's that?

On 3/22/2007 at 9:58 AM E. E. Mitchamore Jr wrote:

>You're right. 60% of that area is devoted to producing organic matter to
>feed the soil. Another 30% is devoted to "high-energy" foods (presumably
>to fuel all that double-digging and composting). Only 10% is for
>vegetables. The initial impact of that "sustainable" workload struck me
>when I was tired. It's all too easy to become overwhelmed if we look at
>all the world's ills. In the more rational light of day, I'll continue
>with my current 200 sq ft intensive vegetable garden plus separate fruit
>trees. In Central Texas we are fortunate to have significant sources of
>compost and mulch derived from "waste". I'll be happy to continue using
>those products to replace the nutrients I remove from the soil.
>
>E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
>www.hillcountrynatives.biz
snip