livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Comment on Jeavon's Work

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Comment on Jeavon's Work
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:40:58 -0700 (PDT)

Mitch,

I use old hay or straw.  I get it free.  The feed store lets us get their old hay to get it out of the way.  Use manure/bedding out of the horse stables as they usually are looking for someone to haul it off.  Farmers sometimes has old bales of hay you can pick up.  Another place is sometimes the contractors use bales to control runoff at construction sites and we get that.  Problem is some are full of weeds so they go to compost.

I have used manue/bedding when the bedding is sawdust and that works find.  Leaving sawdust on top of the bed will not draw out the N from the soil.

I believe in recycling.  Jeavons plants compost crops, harvest the crop, carries it to the compost bins, turns it, screens it, carries it back to the beds and tills it in.  He has all the interns who do it, free. Nature never does that.   It turns to compost left on top of the bed without all that work.  One of the African interns told me when I was there taking the 3 day course that he would never do all that back home.  Too much work.

Ken