livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Comment on Jeavon's Work

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Comment on Jeavon's Work
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 07:26:01 -0700 (PDT)

I'm one of those getting ready to combine techniques and most likely mechanize soon.  I've done the double digging and getting the beds established, and once established those beds are very easy to maintain, but there IS still a limit to how much one person can manage and I usually have three children helping.  I'll most likely attempt to increase crop growing area for market gardening capability and try to implement more of the ideas I've read about in Eliot Coleman's books.

This year I may not get much gardening done, as we're moving to a larger place.  It's very exciting to me to finally be able to work on a bit more land where I can design more from scratch -- other than the house is already where it's staying LOL!!

 I'm increasing my goat milk herd by the 7 doelings from this year which will give me somewhere between 14 and 17 milkers for next  year.  The property we're going to has lots of browse to easily sustain this many.

What needs doing this year is designing the layout for where everything needs to be at the next place and hopefully I can get a few dwarf apple trees and plums planted in the fall when I figure out WHERE on the place they should go.   I'd really like to plan the orchard and a small 1/4 acre vineyard first.   There is already a healthy established small kitchen garden area that I'll be able to plant in for summer garden items and perhaps fall greens. The terrain is a down sloping hill that slopes from the high end on the east down to the west surrounded by tall oaks.
I still love How to Grow more vegetables for it's ideas of the varieties of crops to plant/ percentages of which types and how to mix them to advantage in beds.  It's amazing how many people can only think of growing tomatoes, squash and peppers where I live.  There are SO many other vegetables to enjoy!!

Carrie

Looking for earth-friendly autos?