livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] raised beds

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] raised beds
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:45:59 -0800 (PST)

well, I know a friend who's neighbor died a couple years ago who was less than 60 yrs of age and his back yard contained his garden full of raised beds made with old railroad ties.  He died from stomach cancer.
I think organic gardening magazine did a big article that showed over 30 or 40 known carcinigens that routinely leach from the ties to the soil, not at all safe.  Would be interesting to see if the crops you grow contain these carcinogens,
Carrie