livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] raised beds

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: charlotte plummer <lovedavid2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] raised beds
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:49:41 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
   I was wondering if cinderblock gardening has been mentioned instead of using wood which just decays.I bought a book last year called Cinderblock Gardening I can't remember the author.  I followed her directions and a had  pretty good raised-bed.There were not any weeds and it could hold moisture alot longer than the ground.  I hope to plant alot more of these cinder-block gardens.  The soil cost me some money but I got the cinder-blocks for free from freecycle.  Charlotte

Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com> wrote:
well, I know a friend who's neighbor died a couple years ago who was less than 60 yrs of age and his back yard contained his garden full of raised beds made with old railroad ties.  He died from stomach cancer.
I think organic gardening magazine did a big article that showed over 30 or 40 known carcinigens that routinely leach from the ties to the soil, not at all safe.  Would be interesting to see if the crops you grow contain these carcinogens,
Carrie

Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people who know. Ask your question on Yahoo! Answers._______________________________________________