livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Not amused/ was another picture of humusgrowingin Arizona

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Not amused/ was another picture of humusgrowingin Arizona
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 06:25:57 -0600

What Melendez meant when he said hauling in compost is "unsustainable", is the quantity he's considering.  I watched his video, which was apparently a presentation  at a garden center, and the things he said are in complete agreement with the dozen or so books I've read and courses I've taken on soil health and botany in the last year. He stated that he fully supports the use of composts and mulches as part of the program he recommends.  His "thing" is replenishing the soil microbes and assuring their food supply.

For me, there are only two things in question: Whether his product is truly different/better, and whether his commercial tone is appropriate for this forum.  I'd rather he was using the forum to explain the principles he's using.

Another thing to consider is that his focus is on the desert Southwest.  Although the principles are the same, are the materials and methods appropriate for New England?  The microbes are not the same for all environments or plants.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz