livingontheland - [Livingontheland] standard compost principles work faster/ was Not amused

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] standard compost principles work faster/ was Not amused
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 19:37:06 -0700

Rob, here's a suggestion for your "control" parcel, and you certainly won't
have to wait two years for productive soil. Shred those leaves fine with a
lawnmower and mix it up with the manure. If the manure isn't fresh it'll
need nitrogen added to break down the leaves, like bags of alfalfa meal
mixed in. With aged manure or bedding/straw manure I'd mix alfalfa meal in
at 1:1. Keep it moist, not soggy, in a layer about a foot deep to start
with. With moderate weather it should all decompose in a few weeks. Cold
weather takes longer of course. At that point mix it with soil 1:1 and let
it sit a few more weeks under a layer of mulch, but don't let it dry out
completely. If it's well mixed you can forget further turning and mixing.
This is just standard composting principles, greens and browns shredded
together with soil, moisture and warmth, and Mother Nature. The basic
principles have been demonstrated by organic researchers and writers for 70
years. Really not rocket science - OR some "secret" formula. You'll have
productive soil by spring.

The other day I finally located a nearby source for alfalfa meal in 40 lb
bags, same price as alfalfa pellets but much easier to decompose, and best
of all it mixes dry with aged manure, screened dirt, bone meal, greensand,
and worm castings. After mixing I'm watering it in a trench and covering
with clear plastic to build up daytime heat and keep from freezing at
night. I uncover it when afternoons are warm. If the trench keeps fairly
warm for 3 mos it'll be rich potting soil for starting 60+ tomatoes in 1
gal pots. I've never tried soil building in the dead of winter before so
it'll be a good test. Cross my fingers we don't see another heavy snow
before Xmas.