livingontheland - [Livingontheland] 2nd reply to: another picture of humus growing in Arizona

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] 2nd reply to: another picture of humus growing in Arizona
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 01:44:22 -0700

As it happens, we explored the Snowflake area a while back before settling
back in NM where we are now. Oddly, it was named for two LDS pioneers, a
Mr. Snow and a Mr. Flake (how Show Low got its name is another story). Some
of the alluvial land is so good they have an annual corn festival. But just
above the valleys are barren hills and plateaus that struggle to grow small
junipers and no grass at all. And some of it is so poisonous there are
eroded mounds and hills with colored chemicals in visible layers that
nothing will ever grown in. People buying acreage in those barren hills
don't garden. If they want to they can make fertile raised beds above
ground level, by lasagna layering, as if they're making beds on top of a
concrete driveway. They'd have to mulch and probably rotate cover crops to
attain humus-rich soil. And the Soil Secrets biologicals can speed up the
process no doubt, but you have to have some kind of soil base to start
with. But digging into straight barren subsoil is useless, and double
digging would be twice as useless. For mixing compost and existing soil you
really need some sort of soil to start with. For example, my soil grows
rabbit brush and clump grass. I can improve it, but only because it's soil
to begin with, not barren caliche or gravelly sand that won't let a blade
of grass sprout. I can create healthy, productive soil in one season, and
so can anyone with a little effort. If it takes five years with the dirt
you've got to begin with, I think it's worse than pointless.