livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Not amused/ was another picture of humus growing in Arizona

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Not amused/ was another picture of humus growing in Arizona
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 09:14:48 -0700

John, I haven't bought any humate products or "secret" this or that, so I
don't say it doesn't help. I'm sure it has its place, but I expect all his
preparations require suitable soil to begin with. I do say you can't just
pour some scientific product on dead dirt and watch it spring to life in
one season, or ten seasons. Even in his example the lady had composted 15
years and used his product for 5 years. Frankly, I don't have 15 or 5 years
to waste; I'm 63 and can't count on good health forever.

We still need all the best practices for soil building. There are many ways
to go about improving soil and I'd be the last to claim I have all the
answers. I just know it takes some time and effort - and probably expense.
I'm still experimenting with soil building here in high desert, and I
intend to have a profitable market garden going this first year after
relocating here.