livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Downside to wind energy

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@dotnet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Downside to wind energy
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 11:38:48 -0600

Harvey wrote: Anybody know of any research/thought that's been given to that one?
There has been research done on it in the west, concerning Tehachapi pass and
downwind/mountainside weather effects. I don't remember where I saw it,
though. In the grand scheme, however, the addition of CO2 increases the total
energy in the atmosphere, so using wind (at least in the near term) would
have to take out an awful lot to change the total energy levels. Mostly
localized effects, and those not as much as regular obstructions, since the
wind turbine extracts only at a certain efficiency rate, depending on the
speed of the wind. When compared to the amount of energy being sucked out of
the ground and spewed into the environment.....

David wrote:
I see is the incentive to maintain standards of living with greatly reduced
energy needs not alternative supplies. This is where the US and the
developing world has a huge advantage; the US because of their current
profligate waste and the developing world because they could skip the fossil
fuel based stage of development and the costs of maintaining its centralized
distribution.
I agree. As the fall of the CheapOil Empire becomes evident, conservation is unavoidable. Utilizing decentralized power systems makes the true cost of electrical convenience more evident to local users and helps to moderate unnecessary growth and overdevelopment on the rebuild side of the tragedy. The more people that become capable of engineering and building small scale systems, the smoother the transition can be.

Dan
Belgium,WI

  • Re: [Livingontheland] Downside to wind energy, Dan Conine, 12/05/2006