livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] another picture of humus growing in Arizona

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] another picture of humus growing in Arizona
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 08:57:57 -0700

Of course, Mitch. I'm one of those in near-desert myself. And making
healthy, productive soil with what we've got is a central theme on this
list. But it should go without saying that we need to start with some kind
of soil that is *capable* of being improved, as opposed to the worst dead
dirt. Folks living on land that won't grow a blade of grass will likely
find soil improvement too costly and time consuming, esp when times are
getting desperate in other ways. Our oil-based society has allowed so many
to build in the worst climates with food trucked in from far away. My
thought is, if you live in Phoenix or Vegas, leave.