livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Saving Corn

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: uriel@nasalam.org
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Saving Corn
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 08:16:27 -0700

This may be off-topic, but I think it's relevant to avoiding pesticides on our land. It's about time to harvest corn here and I am once again faced with a problem I've never found a solution for -- the European granary weevil. Every time I've removed the kernels and put them in a container for storage these pointy-nosed critters are soon crawling around eating everything in sight. The only thing that *seems* to work is to store the dried corn on the cob, only removing it when it's needed. Does anyone have any advice on dealing with this?
Uriel / SW Missouri