livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Saving Corn

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: uriel@nasalam.org
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Saving Corn
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:15:12 -0700

I've long used bay leaves in flour and rice to keep critters away, but it doesn't work with the European granary weevil. Ditto with diatomaceous earth -- they just crawl their way through it unscathed. The problem with them is that they are a hard-bodied, bottle-nosed beetle that seem impervious to everything I've tried. I *suspect,* but don't know, that they need to lay their eggs in the softer point of the kernel and that is why leaving the cob intact seems to help avoid them. And I read somewhere that they are inhibited by cold, so I wonder if an old-fashioned corn crib might be the answer. I'm sure the local mice would appreciate that, unless I can talk some cats into living in it! Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. If I ever solve this problem you can be sure I'll share it.

Uriel / SW Missouri

TradingPostPaul wrote:
Yes, bay leaves. And yes, Uriel, it's on topic, it's about storing or preserving what's grown.
and:

How about trying Diatomaceous earth, Uriel??Of course,the food grade kind and not the pool kind....I've included the relevant article (as well as the appropriate excerpt) below.....Love your name BTW..

Barb