livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] A No Till Question for Larger Fields

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "art corbit" <art_c@cox.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] A No Till Question for Larger Fields
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:39:20 -0500

The worst problem grass we have here is called nut grass. If it gets started
there is only two ways to get rid of it. That is either chemicals or till
your ground up about 6" deep and then sift it through 1/4" hardware cloth to
remove the nuts and that is one big dirty job. It has a nut down about 4 "
deep and if you try to pull the grass it will just break off the nut and
then grow back. I always just waited untill I had row crop growing and then
dig the Johnson grass out of the row. Plowing will kill it in the middles.
Johnson grass roots will die in just a few days if they are laid out in top
of the ground where they can dry out.

Art in Arkansas (Fort Smith)