livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] A No Till Question for Larger Fields

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John Smith" <mikakigr@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] A No Till Question for Larger Fields
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 22:33:32 +0300

Obviously it would take time. I have been struggling to get a garden free of johnson grass and no-till in the quickest possible time. Potatoes have been suggested because they have a big canopy which hides the sun from the grass. Cardboard/paper and mulch are not really practical on the scale of a farm. Solarisation with plastic would be prohibitively expensive and would need a couple of seasons. In a lot of situations no-till is reached through tilling in the beginning. Probably herbicides would be necessary even though I am against them. In my small scale situation I just pull as many roots and stolons as I can. Just before and as they are becoming active in Spring when the soil is moist is the best time in my experience.

John Smith