livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Food Garden Instructor? / was Long Emergency in food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Food Garden Instructor? / was Long Emergency in food
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 10:50:56 -0600

I'd like to see a new job description show up in the near future - Food
Garden Instructor. Should pay well, full or part time. A lot of people are
going to go to desperate measures trying to grow food, and they don't have a
clue. They'll work their butt off and get very little for their efforts.
Think about Food Garden Instructor - no credentials needed but your own home
demonstration garden producing like crazy almost year round, with few bought
inputs and less labor than most. Most gardeners don't know how to let Mother
Nature do the work for them. Humus-rich soil tilled by earthworms after the
first year, mulch composting to keep up organic decomposition, reduce water
use and improve drainage, season extension techniques, and so on. Might add,
my old degree at TX A&M is less than useless for what's coming. Now my
teachers are the shelves of books on growing, people on the Internet, and
most of all the soil and weather, the natural world itself.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net

The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not
television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only
those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about it.
- Aldo Leopold in Round River, 1933