livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Ethanol a net energy loss

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Robert Norsen <bob@bnbrew.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Ethanol a net energy loss
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 23:07:28 -0700 (PDT)

Why is Brazil showing a healthy economy operationg almost entirely on ethanol grown / produced from cane?

For one thing they use the entire plant, as we should for corn.  Stalks, cobs, weeds the works.
All of it in rough form anarobic digestion forms ethanol at lower cost and less energy used / enegy produced.

I think the computations made where net energy loss was computed the process was that used to make fine bourbon ethanol.   We need cheap reed eye rot gut.

Brazil then uses the waste product for compost / fetilizer.   ACT??

Brazil is also looking out to deep Atlantic ocean oil deposits with equipment that is amazin!.   Bob

TradingPostPaul <tradingpost@riseup.net> wrote:

Adding up the energy costs of corn production and its conversion into ethanol, 131,000 BTUs are needed to make one gallon of ethanol. One gallon of ethanol has an energy value of only 77,000 BTUS. Thus, 70 percent more energy is required to produce ethanol than the energy that actually is in it. Every time you make one gallon of ethanol, there is a net energy loss of 54,000 BTUs. . .

http://healthandenergy.com/ethanol.htm

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net