livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Jerry Baker?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Michael Nevin <mikepnevin@yahoo.ca>
  • To: c1fenner@comcast.net, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Jerry Baker?
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 21:37:18 -0500 (EST)

Hi - I do not know anything about this Barker TV fellow but I was struck by
your approach to the "war", as it were, with pests which reminded me of the Principles of a Just War. Would I be right in seeing some parallels
between a minimally offensive strategy against pests and the Christian Just War theory? For example, respond only after attack and damage, use a proportionate response only, war only as a last resort; minimize collateral damage or damage to non-offending parties, etc.,etc.
Any ideas? Cheers, Mike in Toronto

Catherine Fenner <c1fenner@comcast.net> wrote:
I've been annoyed with Baker for decades. His programs used to be used on
our public television pledge drives and people would get so excited about
his tonics. The weekend after his shows were aired the master gardener
phones would ring off the hook hoping for more information about his
philosophies.

As university volunteers we could only respond with university research so
it didn't help much. But I would try to bring IPM techniques into the
picture and one of those principals that also exists in organic growing
techniques is that you only treat when it's absolutely needed, only when
damage has occurred at the right level and at the right time for the disease
or bug cycle.

Baker's basic flaw, to me then, is that he does this general, all-purpose
spray now, spray tomorrow superficial and non-symptomatic approach.

Catherine