livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Jerry Baker?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Jerry Baker?
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 09:12:53 -0500

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:39:35 -0700, you wrote:

>I've been seeing Jerry Baker - "America's Master Gardener" - lately on PBS
>and wondering where he gets some of his stuff. He makes growing sooo
>complicated I'd give up if I had to do all that. He preaches compost and
>mulching, but he wants everybody spraying soil and plants with "tonic" made
>of Listerine, tobacco juice, Epson Salt, beer, and God knows what else. And
>he just told us how to use Roundup. Do people do all this stuff in home
>gardens?

I think he's a charlatan, myself. I don't bother to listen.
I listened to him several times and decided 'Useless.'

No, I don't think people actually do all this except the
Roundup part. Our neighbors use Roundup liberally, all
season long, instead of cutting weeds down.

Epsom salts, however, can be useful if your soil lacks
magnesium. They are magnesium sulfate.

Pat
-- northern Pennsylvania