labruscagrape - [OFEX] apricots

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "bert dunn" <helbert@idirect.com>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] apricots
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:45:28 -0400

Joe, my favorites are the two V60031 which we planted in Apr 1981. They were
sold to us as Alpricots as it have truly eating seed. My attempts to get
more info on this variety from Vineland met with a dead end.
We also have HW 447, HW448, HW 437, HW 440, Harogem, HW439, HW442, HW445,
HW446, Harcot, Hagithh & HW 449. This batch of Harrow selections acquired
and planted over 5-6 years as they were released thro WOFTA. This year is
the first real crop as its just too darn winter cold here for apricots. Our
trees are bending almost to the ground, some branches broken with the fruit
load. These Harrow varieties ripen obviously over a period of time and its
tough to get exact time frame as WOFTA altered the variety that had a bench
mark date. The Harrow tree seems to be first ripening, with the rest -2-3
days apart. By the time you've tasted 12 varieties you forget which was the
ripest. All Harrow fruit is small and have brown spots, are completely cling
free (V60031 also has the spots & is cling free). A fruit grower from
Niagara-on-the-Lake was here Friday past, did a walk about thro the
apricots. He felt the spots were only cosmetic, they are there as I refuse
to spray them. Thus he said unmarketable, but excellent for eating, jam and
(best of all) wine
Bert Dunn Box 352 Schomberg LOG1T0 1-905-880-4453
www.hardygrapes.tottenham.on.ca
Think Blending-Not Varietals