labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Scotch Block Winery

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "bert dunn" <helbert@idirect.com>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Scotch Block Winery
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:22:59 -0400

Several years ago, Bert Andrews won "best in show" with his Titania Currant
wine.
This April I asked for another bottle and Bert instead said they now called
"Regal Black Currant". Perhaps this is what you had Tom--not quite as
intentce as the straight Titania Cheers Bert
Bert Dunn Box 352 Schomberg LOG1T0 1-905-880-4453

Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2006 1:05 PM
Subject: [OFEX] Scotch Block Winery
Hello All,

I had a nice surprize yesterday. We went to the Scotch Block winery in
Milton, and their black currant wine tastes like mine. I was happy my
meager skills could produce similar results.

We have picked all our red currants and black currants, except Crandsll.
Crandall is only begining to ripen.

I was also able to taste Saskatoon berries at Andrew's Scenic Acres (same
location on Scotch Block) and the flavor was meager at best (much like
over ripe gooseberries [flat]). Since I have planted Northline and Honey
Wood saskatoons, I am hoping for more flavor from my own.

My Court Pendu Plat apple again suffers from what I think is Powdery
Mildew inspite of using Bordo (copper spray 5 tsp - gallon) spray. I have
attached an image. If anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate
them. No other apple in my backyard has this problem. The leaves curl
lenghtwise, and over time (by season end) will be brittle. Vigor is also
reduced. Last season I used "organic" controls and they were not
effective either. help!

Thanks,