labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Blackcurrant Wine, Berries and other Stuff

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Blackcurrant Wine, Berries and other Stuff
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 14:07:34 -0400

Hello,

Port wine is a bit sweeter and usually fortified with brandy. Many years ago (1678) England declared war on France. England was then lacking the fine wines they use to import from France, so they turned to Portugal. But for shipment of the longer distance the Portugese wine needed to be stabilzed and sanitized. This was accomplished by adding a bucket or two of brandy to the dark, sweet wines. Back at home the Port wine, which had been fortified with brandy was a big hit. Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker. (smile)

At the Scotch Block winery the black currant port style has 20% alcohol, while the standard Regal black currant has 12% alcohol. To my taste they either used more fruit in the wine making process of the port style, or reduced the volume of juice through heating, thereby concentrating flavors. You can smell the currants in the port style, where you cannot in the regular wine.

Cassis is made differently than wine. See here;
http://www.france-property-and-information.com/cassis-liquor.htm

I wish I knew if there was a virus in my court pendu plat. I strongly suspect it is powdery mildew. It does not seem to affect the previous years growth, concentrating on young leaves.

Let me show you images of leaves from previous year wood, to leaves from new wood on the Court Pendu Plat Apple (attached) I had just sprayed with Bordo (5 tsp. Bordo to 1 gallon water)

Any suggestions? Thanks, Tom

Checked by AVG Free Edition.