labruscagrape - [OFEX] Scotch Block Winery

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] Scotch Block Winery
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 13:05:12 -0400

Hello All,

I had a nice surprize yesterday. We went to the Scotch Block winery in Milton, and their black currant wine tastes like mine. I was happy my meager skills could produce similar results.

We have picked all our red currants and black currants, except Crandsll. Crandall is only begining to ripen.

I was also able to taste Saskatoon berries at Andrew's Scenic Acres (same location on Scotch Block) and the flavor was meager at best (much like over ripe gooseberries [flat]). Since I have planted Northline and Honey Wood saskatoons, I am hoping for more flavor from my own.

My Court Pendu Plat apple again suffers from what I think is Powdery Mildew inspite of using Bordo (copper spray 5 tsp - gallon) spray. I have attached an image. If anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate them. No other apple in my backyard has this problem. The leaves curl lenghtwise, and over time (by season end) will be brittle. Vigor is also reduced. Last season I used "organic" controls and they were not effective either. help!

Thanks,

Checked by AVG Free Edition.