labruscagrape - [LabruscaGrape] Heat processing

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: Paul Bulas <pabls@yahoo.com>
  • To: labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [LabruscaGrape] Heat processing
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:59:32 -0400 (EDT)

Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net> wrote:
> Does a mild amount of heat
> processing of the juice inhibit
> foxiness?

Tom, I wouldn't use heat processing. You stand the chance
of ending up with a "stewy" wine. Kind of like compote.

I always do a cool fermentation, feeling that it gives a
crisp, clean wine with good definition.

The musky/foxy quality can't really be gotten rid of. My
philosophy is to simply learn to like it and to find a
place for it in one's wine world.

(Welch's uses pasteurization, and the juice still has the
"foxy" quality ... so this probably won't work.)

Paul