labruscagrape - Re: [LabruscaGrape] Foxy

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: Paul Bulas <pabls@yahoo.com>
  • To: "Exploring Labrusca grapes and making better wine with them." <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [LabruscaGrape] Foxy
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:45:53 -0400 (EDT)

Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net> wrote:

I am a bit perplexed regarding the term "foxy". I have
heard it desribed as "kerosene" like, but I never find that
flavor in wine I make. Does a mild amount of heat
processing of the juice inhibit
foxiness?

Tom,

I believe that the word "foxy" is one of those archaic
terms whose precise orgins have been lost over time. I
have deliberately worked with labrusca grapes for the last
few years so as to get to know their aromatic traits and to
try to delineate these traits using tasting terms that make
sense to me. Now, I don't know what foxes are supposed to
smell like - but I don't think that they smell like
labrusca grapes! :)

Here are terms that I use to describe the aromas of the dry
Concord and Niagara wines that I have made:

CONCORD: Stewed strawberry; candied strawberry;
tutti-frutti; zingy/volatile; candied muskiness.

NIAGARA: High-toned muskiness; diesel oil; lemon rind;
lemon candy; grape jelly; acacia flower; honey.

In my opinion: the term "foxy" refers to that high-toned
muskiness that stays on your palate for a long while after
you drink a labrusca wine. It is present in the fresh
grape juice too, but it really stands out in the wine.
Apparently, grapes like Steuben have less of this muskiness
and more of a spiciness; Catawba has some of the muskiness,
but again, more spice.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Paul