internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Urgent! NC Senator Hoyle to slam door on municipal broadband internet AND Google Fiber this week!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Caswell <derpimpkar AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Urgent! NC Senator Hoyle to slam door on municipal broadband internet AND Google Fiber this week!
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 10:03:15 -0700 (PDT)

I've been curious about something.  I hadn't heard the "obsolete fiber" argument before (I wouldn't buy that either) but I did hear Time Warner say the reason they backed this bill is because they wanted the same process in place for municipal projects as they have.  Levelling the field so to speak.  I realize monopolies are maintained by political shenanigans and even if the playing field were truly level, enough cash could sway votes.  I'm curious to know if the bill does impose the same approval process for both municipal projects and Time Warner, regardless of what may happen.

Also on a side tangent, Google Fiber is nice and everything but I would think their business plan is to provide the connection so they can watch what you're doing to better serve ads.  Google says it's providing the bandwidth to see what could be done with it.  I think they're charging for it so it's not totally free but I don't think Google is switching their business model to service delivery.  Does anyone else get this feeling?

Tom