internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Urgent! NC Senator Hoyle to slam door on municipal broadband internet AND Google Fiber this week!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <jmarkturner AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Urgent! NC Senator Hoyle to slam door on municipal broadband internet AND Google Fiber this week!
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 12:20:43 -0400

The bill's on deck for next week, June 1st. Here's the invite I sent out to the Bring Google Fiber to Raleigh Facebook group:

Here we go again. David Hoyle's (D-Gaston) S.1209 bill that will block any municipal Internet, broadband stimulus funds, and/or Google Fiber projects will be brought to a vote. We scared the bill away yesterday but its coming back.

We've got another chance to tell our state senators NO. Tell your senator that, contrary ...to what Hoyle says, fiber doesn't become obsolete. Our cities are investing in technology that could easily pay off for a hundred years! Fiber is North Carolina's next-generation digital highway and the LAST thing we need is to tie the hands of our cities investing in their digital future with more red tape!

Please call your senators NOW and make plans to join us at this Senate Finance Committee meeting.

Thanks for everyone's efforts yesterday. Our efforts are CLEARLY getting people's attention - let's keep it up until June 1st!

Mark Turner
Bring Google Fiber to Raleigh

Thomas Beckett wrote:
Mark Turner wrote:
Hoyle's bill WAS pulled today, thanks to everyone's efforts! However, it's not dead yet and is expected to return in a slightly different form in the next week or two.

This is my concern. Sounds like it wasn't "pulled" so much as "ducked out of sight". Please do let us know about what happens with it. And thanks for your efforts!

Thomas