internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Urgent! NC Senator Hoyle to slam door on municipal broadband internet AND Google Fiber this week!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Heath Roberts <htroberts AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Urgent! NC Senator Hoyle to slam door on municipal broadband internet AND Google Fiber this week!
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 15:42:40 -0400

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com> wrote:
> the actual text of the bill makes no
> reference to any referendum or voter approval.  Instead, it imposes an
> absolute bar against local government construction or support of any
> broadband system.

I'm not sure how you got that impression from reading the bill. The
key part of the bill says "This section does not apply to an external
communication system. A unit of local government may not enter into a
contract under this section to purchase, or finance or refinance the
purchase of, property for use in an external communication system or
to finance or refinance the construction or repair of fixtures or
improvements for use in an external communication system."

I agree that the title of the bill has nothing to do with its content,
and the language seems odd, especially since the first sentence seems
to nullify the remainder, but to me, the effect appears to be
preventing local governments from *financing* (or purchasing)
"external communication systems", not from building them. Given that
most municipalities don't pay cash for large capital projects, it
could also prevent most of them from building communications systems.

If you look at the statute being modified by this bill, it would also apply
to:
- public transit systems
- nonprofit hospital
- school systems