internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Peace in Our Hearts, Peace in the World... and Peace in the Park this Saturday

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Peace in Our Hearts, Peace in the World... and Peace in the Park this Saturday
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 13:13:25 -0400

on Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 12:13:17PM -0400, Gregory S. Hopper wrote:
> Coincidentally, there's a four-page "special advertising section" in
> today's Wall Street Journal about geothermal energy (paid for by
> Glitner, an bank in Iceland) that is interesting. They also have a
> document available on their website called the US Geothermal Market
> Report. Here's the link:
>
> http://www.glitnir.is/English/Business/Energy/usreport/?id=usad5
>
> Geothermal has intrigued me for quite some time. I think it meets
> Michael's requirements ("cheap, powerful, and plentiful"). Anyone
> know any more about it? Particularly as relates to residential
> dwelling (vs. commercial generation).

My mom (retired now, but formerly a certified geologist who worked for
a civil engineering firm in Maine) worked on a high school that has its
HVAC powered by geothermal; it's pretty impressive, but still kind of
expensive - an investment in the future, for sure. So I don't know how
much sense it makes for small residential installations yet. And I
suspect it works better in places where the temperature differential
is greater between surface and well bottom.

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/
antispam news, solutions for sendmail, exim, postfix: http://enemieslist.com/