internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Peace in Our Hearts, Peace in the World... and Peace in the Park this Saturday

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Peace in Our Hearts, Peace in the World... and Peace in the Park this Saturday
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 11:58:26 -0400

on Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 11:22:25AM -0400, Susan LaBarre wrote:
> I apologize to all for my heinous spam filter and will look into a gmail
> account. Lots of folks have responded to me from this list offline and this
> is the first time anyone has belabored the spam filter issue.
>
> This list is notorious for debating minutia... and the tangents are usually
> interesting. But to go on and on about my spam filter and bypass the content
> of my email is unnecessarily embarrassing and doesn't address any issues
> about peace or climate change.

I guess the way I look at it is that by using a "spam filter" (which is
like saying that driving unwanted rats from your house into mine is a
"rat filter") that is itself a disruption of the peace of the Internet,
you're not helping further the cause of peace in the wider world.

Climate change, I dunno. But challenge/response and autoresponding to
every message is a known and very heinous form of abuse, and you should
be just as concerned about it, as it is something it is known you can
/actually do something about/.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge-response_spam_filtering#Criticisms
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04746.html

That said, go meditate, fine. But I think I fall in with Michael on this
one; what the world needs now isn't some sort of non-measurable harmony,
what the world needs now is math education and a good rechargeable solar
battery. We spend too much time on ephemera and the unprovable and not
nearly enough on the obvious brokenness of the world we inhabit already.

Peace,
Steve

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/