internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Peace in Our Hearts, Peace in the World... and Peace in the Park this Saturday

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tom Karches" <tkarches AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Peace in Our Hearts, Peace in the World... and Peace in the Park this Saturday
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 10:58:33 -0400

On 9/5/07, Cristóbal Palmer <cristobalpalmer AT gmail.com> wrote:
> For those of you with Earthlink accounts: messages like the one below
> are frustrating and bothersome. They're also a source of backscatter.
> Eg. see this old-ish forum post:
>
> http://www.webservertalk.com/archive154-2005-2-933150.html
>
> Please just get a gmail account. Gmail is awesome all around, but it
> especially kicks butt at dealing with spam. I have a very public email
> address that is all over the internet and yet I still only get about
> two spam messages a day that I have to manually tag as spam, vs.
> 100-300 spam messages that hit my spam trap on any given weekday.
> Impressive!

I second that. GMail is an awesome spam filter. The Earthlink address
approval thing is crap.

If you don't like the GMail interface, configure it to forward to a
mail account of choice. If you change ISPs, just change the forward.

Doing this gives you a backup archive of all received email.

It's also a handy way to view recent incoming mail via a mobile device
with Google Mobile.

--tom
--
Tom Karches