internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] High speed internet connection for church

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "tkarches AT imapmail.org" <tkarches AT imapmail.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] High speed internet connection for church
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:40:38 -0400

lance AT bearcircle.net wrote:
Greetings,

Has anyone here done the work to get a high speed internet connection at
their church?

Time Warner is telling me I need to get a business class RR account at
$99/month.

I'm interested what others are doing for this need.

We were using the Nextel Wireless service until it was cancelled. Our church was too far from the BellSouth facility to get DSL, and business class RoadRunner was not available on our side of Wade Ave.

We had to sign a 2 year contract at $200/month so that they would run a cable under Wade Ave. :-(. Contract is up next month. I need to see if we can get the $99 rate.

While the Nextel was down before we could get RoadRunner, I used an Apple Airport and 56K dialup. It worked remarkably well. Since our mail was all IMAP, the bandwidth was not a huge issue.

The RR contract is about up, and I'm thinking of switching the service to Clearwire wireless internet (reborn Nextel wireless).

I have been using Clearwire at home for about 6 months now. The bandwidth is lower, but the latency is better than the RoadRunner service I used to have. Antenna placement can be an issue, but I am using "ethernet over powerline" (Homeplug) adapters which allows the antenna and the router to be in different rooms without having to run Cat-5.

--tom

--
Tom Karches
email : tkarches AT imapmail.org