internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Brazilian String Bikinis - OT?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Cristóbal Palmer" <cristobalpalmer AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Brazilian String Bikinis - OT?
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 14:55:56 -0400

On 6/5/07, David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com> wrote:

The difference, is the "black person" can't check his blackness at the door
of an establishment, while a smoker can (we hope) not smoke long enough to
enter and complete business at the establishment. The question is about
limiting smoking (an activity) not smokers (people).

Good call, though, as Greg Brown notes, nicotine is rather addictive
and smoking is clearly harmful, so that muddies the waters.

But let's throw any number of people/activities into the same
argument. Why do some seem ridiculous and others not? Try substituting
"homosexuals" for "black people" and how do opinions shift? Does the
argument get any better or worse?

But, backing up for a second, I really did mean to send that for the
lulz. We're posting in a thread that's a response to a thread started
by a spammer. How the hell did we get here? I've been laughing all
afternoon about this.

(1) Spammer posts NSFW link
(2) List member starts thread asking if NSFW link is off-topic
(3) Somehow we get to smoking
(4) Somehow we get really SERIOUS about smoking
(5) ???
(6) Profit!

also, http://www.roflcat.com/images/cats/270913946_efa38ec3d8.jpg

Somebody feel free to fix my timeline.