internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] iPhone is useless

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] iPhone is useless
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:24:25 -0500

On 1/12/07, Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk> wrote:
No, but it might spawn an interesting conversation about the pros and
cons of the iPhone
allowing (or not, as the case may be) 3rd party apps... A conversation
that might reveal
something about the attitudes people have relative to treating their
phones as application
platforms, and say something about what people are interested in using
smart-phone/pda/wireless
devices for.

Phillip,

Something like,

"It's really a shame Apple isn't currently opening up the iPhone for
3rd party development. It seems like a missed opportunity to me."

is more likely to generate a conversation than this "whine":

"Umm, hello, but what freaking good is a handheld computing /
communication device if you can't run your chosen application(s)
on it / write applications for it?"

You're smart, so I'm sure you can see the difference. If you're
going to whine, then you'll need to be prepared for the consequences.
If you want to start a conversation, then start a conversation, but
please, leave the whining at home.

Cheers,
Tanner
--