internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] not about bumperstickers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] not about bumperstickers
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:51:38 -0400

No worries, Greg. I was just trying to be funny. Ya know, "Ha Ha Funny." That is my whole schtick.

I am desperately curious to know why today, of all days, you are politically worked up. Was there a new development of which I am not aware? Have they finally outlawed that whole pesky "Free Speech" thing?

Actually, I have been "politically worked up" for more years than I can count (Disclosure: I can only count up to six), but I have found that trying to educate and enlighten people or even open their minds just a tiny bit results in the most hateful personal attacks I have ever experienced. I don't have enough fingers to count the number of folks who have angrily told me to "Move the hell out of their country if I don't like it" or the amount of people who wanted to get into a physical altercation with me because I was disproving the "facts" that they had heard from the TV box.

This was mostly in Carrboro and Orange County. Had I tried such treasonous activities in Raleigh or Roxboro I surely would have been lynched. As a final data point, the majority of these True Believers strongly claimed to be of the "Christian faith" and repeatedly trumpeted the line that "This is a Christian nation." I did not stick around long enough to explain Jesus Christ to them.

So, instead I just take my little photographs and make little jokes about how strange the world can be sometimes. My career of fighting ignorance and propaganda has come to a less-than-graceful end.

dave m.