internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] funny bumpersticker

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] funny bumpersticker
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:38:39 -0400

On Sep 21, 2006, at 12:13 PM, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

On 9/21/06, Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org> wrote:
My impression is that the Bush Administration's main supporters are
religious conservatives, who are more interested in supporting one of
their own, and thus don't notice that the administration's policies
aren't actually conservative.

They aren't actually Christian (which is what they mean when they
say "religious right") either. All that "love your neighbor as
yourself" stuff goes right over their heads.

I'm sure the professional students of religion on this list know more about it, but as an outside observer of religion there are two models of Christianity, the nurturing, "left wing" model, and the conservative "angry god" model. There are parallels between a person's attitude towards various authority figures, including God, the government, and their own parents.

I've really got to learn to keep my mouth shut on this stuff. At a recent dinner party at a fancy restaurant I ordered the shrimp appetizer, and noticed that no one else was eating it. I tried offering some to the person next to me, and he refused. I asked if he'd seen the website http://godhatesshrimp.com, and he replied "I know very well what God hates, I'm a Rabbi!".

And for more fun there's also http://godhatesfigs.com :-)

Michael Czeiszperger
Chapel Hill, NC
michael AT czeiszperger.org