internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] On the Nature of Flickr Interestingness

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] On the Nature of Flickr Interestingness
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:43:19 -0500

on Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 12:43:26AM -0500, matusiak wrote:
> So, at the intersection of posts from Michael Czeiszperger and Ruth
> Suehle, why exactly are folks so drawn to flickr.com?

I don't know why folks in general are drawn to flickr, as opposed to
.mac hosting or kodak or whatever; I was drawn to flickr because it was
this site where all my friends were posting their pictures, and if you
don't have an account you can't get added to their contact lists and
therefore can't see stuff they've marked as "friends and family" only.

My co-author Eric works for flickr (actually, for Ludicorp, which was
the company that Stewart started to create a massively multiplayer game
called Game Neverending - which is why you'll occasionally see the
".gne" extension on URLs at flickr) and so I'd heard about it for quite
a while before I actually posted any pictures. But it's really easy now;
there are plugins for iPhoto and uploader tools; the ability to order by
sets and set access controls and add pictures to pools, like petshooter
and the Raleigh pool - which brings me to the most important aspect.

feed://www.flickr.com/groups/_raleigh_/pool/feed/?format=rss_200

Not that I benefit from it much, as I don't post often, but if one is a
photographer looking for feedback, or to get noticed, there are
currently few better ways to do it than posting photos to flickr,
particularly in a popular pool. I'm not going to say that the feedback
is better than any you'd get from pros or educators, but at least it's
feedback.

My friends Tim and Heather have really taken advantage of flickr -

Tim: http://flickr.com/photos/bigempty/
Heather: http://flickr.com/photos/heather/

Heather and her husband Derek (who you may remember from the fray -
fray.com) started a magazine called "JPG" and use flickr as a pool:

Derek: http://flickr.com/photos/fraying/
JPG pool: http://flickr.com/groups/jpgmag/

My friend Srini just uses it to post scans of his notebooks:

http://flickr.com/photos/53423572@N00/7024211/in/photostream/

Whereas Greg uses it to post endless reams of pictures of his kids:

http://flickr.com/photos/gknauss/80827466/in/photostream/

Same with Michael:

http://flickr.com/photos/msippey/70685875/

(You may not be able to see those, as they seem to be marked "friends
and family only").

Laura, Killer of Trees, uses it to post pictures of her cats, and the
occasional cauliflower:

http://flickr.com/photos/lemay/66858676/in/photostream/

Whereas Rafe uses it to post pics of wine he's tried:

http://flickr.com/photos/rafe/67286229/

And Courtney uses it to provide running commentary and promotion for
her furniture:

http://flickr.com/photos/courtneys/71526111/in/photostream/

Jason uses it to post pics of things he loves:

http://flickr.com/photos/jasoncalacanis/76029683/in/set-1595470/

I'm always surprised by what people use it for; here Glenn is posting
scans of old family photos:

http://flickr.com/photos/glennf/80997779/

Joe posted pics of his eyes:

http://flickr.com/photos/artlung/30636102/in/set-687549/

and a whole bunch of scans of old artwork:

http://flickr.com/photos/artlung/sets/576239/

It's amazing to me to see the community grow up around flickr; not just
the "people I know" but the random people who I wouldn't have expected -
especially non English speakers. Here's a snippet from a post I sent
around to our internal mailing list some months ago: