internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] On the Nature of Flickr Interestingness

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] On the Nature of Flickr Interestingness
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 08:25:52 -0500

On Jan 7, 2006, at 12:43 AM, matusiak wrote:

Curious minds want to know "Why should I have a flickr account?"

I've thought about this, and at a basic level people join flickr because other people are on Flickr. Just about every major photoblogger I know if, and even pro photographers, are now joining Flickr. Its strangely popular.

My best guess why is its a popularity contest of sorts. It manages who's watching your photos, and the photographers you want to watch, as well as "groups" with their own photostream and commentary. With individual photoblogs I have to use an RSS stream to watch and see when new photos are posted, and there's no groups except for individual forums. Flickr puts everything you want to do in talking about pictures and cameras in one place.

Still, when my photography gets good enough I'll move to http:// www.photo.net which attracts serious photographers:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos?include=top&user_id=774124

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Birdseye Maple 12-String Chapman Stick #499
Chapel Hill, NC