internetworkers - [internetworkers] On the Nature of Flickr Interestingness

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] On the Nature of Flickr Interestingness
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 00:43:26 -0500

Damn! What type of camera phone is that, Tom? Those pictures are the best camera phone shots I've ever seen! Photos from my Motorola RAZR are pretty much useless.

So, at the intersection of posts from Michael Czeiszperger and Ruth Suehle, why exactly are folks so drawn to flickr.com?

Like Michael, I prefer personal photoblogs, much like I prefer personal weblogs over the MySpace/LiveJournal-type of blogs -- as they seem much more 'individual' to me, but the popularity of these community sites is intriguing. Similarly, I agree with Ruth's viewpoint that it can be valuable as a more immediate, casual presentation space for images.

I think the common logic explanation that potentially "less technical" people set-up and use accounts on these sites is not exactly correct. The reason I think so is because most of the people I know with flickr accounts also have their own domain, often including email and maybe a blog via their domain. (Most of them also work in "tech" to some degree).

So why "outsource" the photo presentation part?

Wouldn't it be relatively similar and easy to set up Gallery or Gallery2? Many hosts today offer one-click installs of these and other popular programs.

Are there simply amazing tools or layers of control associated with a flickr account? I see some people offer their photos for download, while others obfuscate downloading with a blank .gif image. This is pretty cool, but not necessarily a feature I'm interested in.

Besides ease of use and/or simple uploading, what makes flickr so cool? Is it because everyone seems to have an account? (Much like Friendster was cool before MySpace came along to trounce them so unrepentantly).

Curious minds want to know "Why should I have a flickr account?"

Do I just want to be able to direct folks to "my stream" ??

Thanks!
dave m.

http
: